Hygge. It’s arguably the most wholesome trend ever to exist!
If you’re interested in learning more about how to live more of a hygge lifestyle and discover some beautiful storage baskets that match the hygge trend perfectly, you’re in the right place.
Read on to discover everything you need to know about hygge…
Hygge is new to the scene, so we wouldn’t blame you for not knowing everything about this trend just yet.
So, we thought it would be best to get you familiar with what is meant by the term ‘hygge’ before we dive into anything else.
What does hygge mean?
Essentially, hygge means creating a life pleasurable and comfortable for you. There’s an emphasis on finding fulfilment in the little things and appreciating what you have - as opposed to what you don’t have!
This could mean decorating your home in a way that feels homely and cosy to you. It could also mean spending time with loved ones or taking the time out for self-care if that’s what brings you joy.
How do you pronounce hygge?
Interestingly, to say hygge correctly, you’ll need to pronounce it as “hyoo-guh” or “hue-gah”. Either pronunciation is deemed as correct.
Photo credit - @homes4nomes
Is hygge Danish or Norwegian?
Contrary to popular belief, hygge originates from Denmark! However, it’s commonly mistaken as Norwegian simply because it’s so popular there.
The word Hygge is the Danish word for cosiness, which pretty much encapsulates the trend!
What is a hygge lifestyle?
So, the decor side of hygge aside - this trend, similar to cottagecore, is entirely subjective. Hygge is about creating feelings of positive wellbeing, satisfaction and happiness, whatever that means to you.
However, there are a few tips that many people who follow this lifestyle class as non-negotiable. These tips are:
- Spending quality time with loved ones as much as possible.
- Simplifying decisions and actions in life whenever possible.
- Spending time outdoors in the fresh air.
- Taking time away from technology and social media as frequently as possible.
- Embrace a glass half full instead of a glass half empty mentality. In other words, seek a positive from any situation.
- Treat everyone with respect and kindness.
- Drink hot beverages to soothe the body and soul.
- Always find time for self-care.
- Cook from scratch whenever possible using organic ingredients.
- Meditation is also very popular amongst those who live a hygge lifestyle.
How to bring hygge into your home
The great thing about this trend is that no home is ever the same. It’s all subjective and tailored to suit your unique lifestyle and style preferences. How? Because what we deem as comforting and cosy is personal to us.
For example, some may prefer to be surrounded by plush soft furnishings, soft lighting and copious amounts of candles. And for others, hygge may mean finding comfort in the organisation of the home and a dark colour palette. It truly is a trend that can be adapted to suit you.
See below for tips on how to create a hygge feel in your home:
- Natural features. For example, house plants and items made from renewable materials.
- Fire features to create a cosy atmosphere.
- Displays of firewood for a homely touch.
- Fill your home with super cosy soft furnishings. Think plush pillows, furry throws and cuddly blankets.
- Soft neutral colours and tones are perfect for those wanting to create a hygge look and feel.
- Soft lighting in every room.
- Organisation is a priority in hygge homes as this concept believes clutter induces feelings of stress and discomfort.
- Storage baskets on shelving units.
- Candles! Hygge homes tend to opt for lovely scented candles.
- Dainty touches and details. For example, ornaments, fairy lights and small baskets for bits and bobs.
- Natural textures. For example, wooden furnishings and blankets made from wool.
- Hygge homes commonly feature cosy nook areas.
Hygge storage baskets at Wovenhill
At Wovenhill, we offer the best range of beautiful storage solutions - perfect for those wanting to add a homely touch.
When you browse through our extensive collections, you’ll find beautifully crafted eco-friendly storage solutions in a variety of sizes and colour finishes.
For inspiration purposes, see below for a taste of what our range has to offer.
Set of 4 Kubu Storage Baskets
To start, we have our gorgeous Set of 4 Kubu Storage Baskets. An ideal addition to any home and part of our Kubu range, these storage baskets are perfect for those looking for beautiful storage baskets to keep bits and pieces together.
Set of 3 Seagrass Storage Baskets
Next, we have our stunning Set of 3 Seagrass Storage Baskets - the perfect space-saving solution for any room in your home!
These baskets boast a distinctive appearance and are eco-friendly, made entirely from sustainable Seagrass. They are also made to feature inset handles and are available in a variety of size options, arriving to you fully assembled and ready to be used.
“Bought these to use as storage for under our coffee table, they look great, would highly recommend!” - verified customer.
Set of 2 Medium Rectangular Willow Baskets
If you’d prefer to create more of a rustic chic look and feel, our Set of 2 Medium Rectangular Willow Baskets would be an excellent choice.
This set will provide generous storage space, adding a touch of luxury to any room. Plus, the combination of neutral shades gives these baskets a homely and warm appearance - perfect for those who want to create a hygge home.
“I received my order and time and was both pleased and relieved to find the quality was very good. In a world where more and more items are designed to wear out very quickly, it is good to find a company that aims to please. Well done, Wovenhill.” - verified customer.
Kubu Rattan Square Log Basket with Hoop Handles
If you’re looking for the perfect addition to your fire feature, look no further than our stunning Kubu Square Log Basket with Hoop Handles.
The perfect storage solution for a homely yet elegant touch, thanks to being made from Kubu Rattan - a natural material that’s sustainably sourced and ethically produced.
The Kubu Square Log Basket with Hoop Handles boasts a large capacity and will arrive to you fully assembled and ready to be used. You’ll also receive a complimentary eco-friendly Jute basket liner, preventing mess or spillages!
“Lovely basket. I’m extremely pleased with my purchase.” - verified customer.